Products & Services


Claims Questions

Q. How do I file a Great American claim for a Property, Auto, or General Liability?
A. A Great American claim is reported using one of the following methods: Call: 877-836-1555; Fax the Loss Notice: 800-748-6159; Email the Loss Notice:; to file Online, contact Great American for set-up: 860-683-7078, once approved, go to The claim data is automatically routed to the correct department with follow-up within twenty-four working hours to the telco contact. For your convenience, lost notice forms are included in your insurance policy notebook and sent with your Insurance Binder information. When you file a claim supply as much detail as you know at the time of the loss and even if you don’t have all the information, file the claim anyway. The carrier will follow-up with you for the details after the claim is assigned.

If you have any other carrier, go to their specific claims instructions under the Products and Services tab on the home page.

Q. How do I file a Workers Compensation (WC) claim?
A. Telcom provides carrier information on our website under the Products and Services tab on the home page and on the claims instruction sheet that is mailed to each of our policyholders with their insurance binder and the policy notebook. For all Great American claims, you may choose any of the following methods: Call: 877-836-1555; Fax: 800-748-6159 or Email your state’s First Report of Injury Form; to file Online, contact Great American for set-up: 860-683-7078, once approved, go to If you choose to email or fax the information, you must complete your states First Report of Injury form and attach it. Generally you will be asked questions about the accident, the date and time, and location, the employee’s name, address, position, and the nature of the injury. You will also be asked for employee and employer contact information.

Q. How do I file a Director’s and Officer’s (D&O)/Employment Practices Liability (EPLI) or Fiduciary claim?
A. Notice of a claim or of a potential claim (also known as an “incident”) must be given to your D&O insurance carrier in writing as soon as practical, but certainly within 30-days of knowledge of a potential claim. The written notice should include policy number, name of insured, name of claimants, and a full description of the events that may give rise to the claim. Additionally, during the policy period if a D&O, EPLI or Fiduciary claim is first made against you or even if you become aware of an alleged wrongful act that MAY give rise to a claim (i.e. EEOC or Dept. of Human Affairs filing), you must also report this potential claim in writing to your insurance carrier as soon as practical, but within 30-days of the notice. We suggest that you send this type of confidential material to the carrier through a traceable method. Please review the Claims Instructions under the Products and Services tab on the home page for the specific carriers reporting addresses.

Q. If I’m having difficulties with a claim or I just need to ask someone a question, who can I contact?
A. At Telcom our Claims staff stands ready to provide information and help with all claims matters. Please contact:

Cheri Condee, Claims Specialists, AU, 800-222-4664 x1082, Marilyn Blake, COO, AU, CRM, 800-222-4664 x1085, Back to Top

Risk Management Questions

Q. What are the OSHA Telecommunications Standards that I must know?
A. The Occupational Safety and Health Act applies to all private-sector employers/employees in the 50 states and all territories and jurisdictions under federal authority. Those with 10 or more employees or in high hazard (telecommunications is considered high hazard) have some specific requirements such as the OSHA 300 log. Telecommunications companies must follow the standards outlined in 1910.268. Look for a PowerPoint presentation that outlines the major areas that all telecommunications companies should have within a policy to adhere to the standard in the Education and Risk Management tab; go to PowerPoint Presentations and then to OSHA Telecommunications standards. Under the Safety Tips tab in this same section there’s information on the OSHA 300 log too.

Q. Does Telcom have a sample safety manual?
A. Although many companies have informal safety policies, it is an OSHA standard that those policies are in writing and that your employees know them and have been trained on these regulations as relates to their specific jobs. If you are a policyholder we can provide you with a few sample safety manuals which can serve as templates in your development of a safety manual for your company. For a sample, log into the Members Only section under the Education and Risk Management tab on the website.

Q. Do you have any safety topics/tips/videos that I can use at my telco for training?
A. At Telcom, the safety and well-being of your company and your employees is our primary goal. Over our long history, we’ve gathered and created a vast array of safety training material and tips that, as a policyholder, are yours for the using. Log into the Members Only section under the Education and Risk Management tab, you’ll find hundreds of pre-designed safety training tips and free-for-the-lending videos to supplement your own safety training.

Back to Top

General Insurance Terms and Questions

Q. What’s the difference between an insured, an additional insured and an additional named insured?
A. An insured is the person or company who is protected under an insurance contract. The terms of the agreement for insurance are detailed on the declarations page of the policy and will name the person or company that will be covered. An additional insured is a person or organization not automatically covered, but who could be added by an endorsement to the policy for specific reasons such as a contract. Some policies provide a broad blanket additional insured endorsement, however, you should check with Telcom before signing any contracts with insurance requirements. An additional named insured is a person or organization identified as an insured in the policy declarations or as an addendum to the policy. This can include subsidiaries or other entities closely held by the insured and for which insurance coverage is desired.

Q. What is the main difference between my Property and Liability insurance sections of my policy?
A. The property section is an agreement between you and the insurance carrier for coverage of property that you own or for the loss of its income-producing ability when the loss is caused by a covered peril. Some examples of covered perils include fire, lightning, and vandalism etc. All policies do not cover all perils, therefore, it is a good idea to review what type of coverage you purchase. Liability insurance is the coverage part of your policy that protects you for obligations you may have to pay others arising from a legal obligation to do so. These types of situations may arise from one’s negligence or a statutory requirement such as workers compensation insurance.

Q. What type of information might I need to insure a new building or property onto my policy?
A. Insurance companies often use something called COPE to assign a rating to property. COPE stands for Construction, Occupancy, Protection, and Exposure. The type of answers to these aspects of your property can affect the premium to insure the property. For example, if a property is constructed out of frame and wood it will be much more susceptible to a total loss by fire than one constructed out of concrete. The occupancy refers to the activity conducted at the property and some may be much riskier than others. Protection refers to fire protection factors, such as, sprinklers or distance to a fire hydrant. Finally, exposure is related to the actual physical location of the building that could put it at a greater risk of a loss. Therefore, it is a good idea to think about insurance coverage before purchasing or building a new property.

Q. Why do insurance companies need to ask for my financial statements and what are they looking for?
A. Financial statements provide important information about how your company is doing both now and as related to the past. Financials usually include the balance sheet, the income statement, and the statement of cash flow. All three of these components provide very different statistics and analysis of the business operations and when combined together with auditor notes and review, can provide the underwriter with some sound information about the business insurability, commitment to loss control programs and the ability to pay premiums.

Back to Top

Underwriting FAQs

Q. Is a youthful driver allowed to drive a company vehicle?
A. A youthful driver (under the age of 22) must have at least 2 years of licensed driving experience operating the types of vehicles scheduled with like cargo and must also meet the carrier’s standard acceptable driver status. A youthful driver questionnaire must also be submitted to the carrier. See forms and applications for copy of questionnaire.

Q. Should we notify Telcom when we purchase a new vehicle?
Yes, you should notify Telcom as soon as possible of any vehicle change activity such as adding and deleting vehicles or additions of special equipment to existing vehicles so Telcom will be able to maintain an accurate vehicle schedule. There are also many states that require that their department of motor vehicles be notified directly (electronically) from the insurance carrier for proof of insurance coverage. If a notification is not received this may result in a suspension of the vehicle’s registration.

Q. When we hire a subcontractor to do work for us what limits of insurance should we require the subcontractor to carry?
A. Although it is not a “requirement”, Telcom Insurance Group recommends that all subcontractors that you hire carry the same standard limits of liability coverage that is offered through the Telcom Insurance Group “Telepak” program. These standard limits are as follows:

General Liability Each Occurrence $1,000,000
General Aggregate $2,000,000
Prods/Comp. Ops. Aggregate $1,000,000
Automobile Liability Each Accident $1,000,000
Employers Benefit Liability Each Claim/Aggregate $1,000,000
Workers Compensation/
Employers Liability
Bodily Injury by Each Accident $500,000
Bodily Injury by Disease/Policy Limit $500,000
Bodily Injury by Disease/
Each Employee


Telcom Insurance Group also strongly recommends that you hire only those subcontractors who can show proof of workers compensation coverage. To confirm this coverage your company should require that all subcontractors submit to you a certificate of insurance with active coverage before starting any work.

Q. Does Telcom Insurance Group provide surety bonds? If so what information will I need to provide to obtain a bond?
A. A bond application will need to be completed and also a copy of your company’s most recent audited financial statement will need to be submitted. We would also like to see a copy of your contract listing the bond requirements. Some bonds can be issued within a few days; however, some of the larger or more complicated bonds can take up to several weeks. Please keep this in mind when sending us your request for a bond. If you would like more information regarding surety bonds, please contact the underwriting department at

Q. What information do you need to obtain a Property and Casualty quote?
A. To expedite the quoting process, we will need the following information before we can offer you a quote:

  • Complete the Quote Workbook (please note multiple tabs) found in the Products & Services/Applications and Forms section of our website or send us the equivalent data in any other format.
  • Please provide your latest audited financial statement. It will be used only to underwrite your account and the information will be treated as confidential (please see our Privacy Statement which contains our pledge on this matter).

Please provide any loss or experience runs that you may have from your current insurer for all lines of business for the past 5 years.

Q. What information do you need to obtain a Directors and Officers Liability quote?
A. We can offer you a quick premium indication by completing the short “Premium Indication” form along with a copy of your current audited financials. The Premium Indication form can be found in the Products & Services/Applications and Forms section of our website. If you decide to bind coverage based on the premium indications, we will need a fully completed and signed Directors and Officers Liability application along with any other requested underwriting information prior to binding.

If you need any help completing the application or have questions, please contact your Telcom Account Representative.

Q. Are Directors and Officers covered when they are sitting on an Outside Board?
A. Some companies often ask their Directors to contribute their time and talents to community activities, including service as directors, officers, or other leaders of nonprofit and for-profit organizations. Most Directors and Officers Liability policies extend coverage in situations where the Company and its Board has specifically requested a Director or Officer to sit on the board of another Outside Entity. Coverage is normally extended to non-profit organizations, 501 (c) (3); but coverage is not an automatic extension for a for-profit board. This coverage may be available with prior underwriter approval and additional premium. It’s important to know that the coverage extension for Outside Directorship Liability only applies to the individual and is only excess of any insurance available from the Outside Entity.

Q. When an employee is driving his own vehicle on company business which policy responds if there is accident?
A. Many employees will sometimes take their own vehicle to a job site or use their own vehicles to run an errand for work. Many people think that by having a symbol “1” for liability coverage, their employees are covered no matter what vehicle they use on company business, but that’s not true. Symbol 1 will cover you as the employer against the non-ownership exposure, but it does not protect the employee while using his or her auto on company business. In the event of a claim, the employee’s personal auto policy will be the only coverage he/she has. Liability protection can be extended to the employee through the Employees as Insureds Endorsement (CA9933). This is a standard endorsement on all Telcom policies. Liability coverage under this endorsement is excess over any other valid and collectible insurance.

Note: The Employees as Insured Endorsement (CA9933) DOES NOT provide any physical damage coverage for the employee owned vehicle.

Q. Should we notify Telcom if we acquire or purchase a new property?
A. Just as with your auto coverage, you should notify Telcom as soon as possible after a new purchase or acquisition, such as a building, tower, or contractor’s or electronic data processing equipment. The Telcom “Telepak” program does provide a 90 day extension of coverage for newly acquired property, however there are certain sub limits. The best way to assure that your property and equipment schedules are up to date in the event of a loss is to notify Telcom as soon a possible of any property changes.

Back to Top